Buff has partnered with Dots Eco and we have created items which allow our users the opportunity to also play a role in helping the environment. Our impacts include: planting trees, saving baby sea-turtles, offsetting carbon emissions, and cleaning the ocean
Why is it needed?
- Forests cover around 30% of the world’s land area, but deforestation rates have been increasing at an alarming rate in the past 40 years. Since 1990, we have lost about a billion acres of forest, mainly in Africa and South America. Over the last 50 years, 17% of the Amazon rainforest has been destroyed.
- Trees help clean the air we breathe, filter the water we drink, and provide habitat to over 80% of the world’s terrestrial biodiversity.
- As trees grow, they can absorb CO2 emissions as they grow, converting them into clean oxygen. As a result, keeping our forests could cut an average of 7 billion tons of CO2 yearly: equivalent to getting rid of every car on the planet.
- Forests are home to 80% of our world’s terrestrial biodiversity and support the livelihoods of 1.6 bn people (through farming primarily)
- Forests, particularly tropical ones, regulate the world’s temperature. They trap CO2 and evaporate more water. They produce a cover that reflects sunlight into space. We could say tropical rainforests are Earth’s air conditioner.
Where is it done?
- North America
- South America
How does it work?
- The organizations we work with have varied strategies in order to reach a tangible outcome. They connect with local communities and build relationships with local leaders. These communities are guiding the organizations on opportunities for planting trees.
- All our organizations support quality projects, biodiversity, and climate action; these factors are considered when planting trees. Quality projects range from reforestation to rainforest rescue in countries that need it the most, like Indonesia, the Philippines, Kenya, and Brazil.
- Step-by-step→ the funds are distributed, seedlings are grown, the land is prepared, the trees are planted, the plantings are monitored, and the result is reported.
- The trees are planted in coastal areas, protected natural reserves & parks, and inland environments. All our organizations aim beyond just planting a tree: they provide jobs to minimize poverty and improve food security.
When is it done?
Planting usually happens during the rainy season, when the soil provides optimum conditions for tree survival. The soil should have enough moisture to crumble in your hand.
What environmental organization do we support?
- The Arbor Day Foundation
- Eden Reforestation
- One Tree Planted
- How do they prove their credibility?
- All our partners collaborate with renewed global organizations like the World Resources Institute, The World Preservation Foundation, and the UN decade on Economic Restoration 2021-2030.
- 3rd party audits: Financial statements are audited by third-party verification in order to provide more transparency in the organization.
- Impact: Our organizations have a monitoring team that uses metrics such as the number of trees planted, survival rates of trees, equal employment for women, and the number of trees grown to maturity to track the impact of every project.
- Reporting: Our organizations produce quarterly or annual external reports showing their performance with quantitative data and through employees’ voices.
- Social: Social sustainability is at the top of the agenda of all the organizations we have partnered with. Local workers are empowered with fair wages to ensure an all-round impact.
Redeem Buff Effect Items at the Marketplace
Join forces with Buff and Dots Eco to become a hero for the environment. Dive into eco-friendly gaming experiences that plant trees, save baby sea turtles, offset carbon emissions, and clean the oceans. Your gaming actions can make a tangible difference!