Protecting Marine area
Buff has partnered with Dots Eco and we have created items which allow our users the opportunity to also play a role in helping the environment. Our impacts include: planting trees, saving baby sea-turtles, offsetting carbon emissions, and cleaning the ocean
Why is it needed?
- Overfishing is a pervasive threat thought to affect more than 55 percent of the world’s coral reefs. Overharvesting fish on a reef, whether for food or the aquarium trade, affects the entire ecosystem. On healthy reefs, intense grazing by herbivorous fish, like parrotfish and surgeonfish, reduces the number of seaweeds (also called macroalgae) on a reef, providing more space for corals. When these fish disappear, the delicate balance of the coral reef ecosystem is disrupted, and macroalgae grow unchecked, eventually smothering reefs and reducing their capacity to adapt to other threats, like poor water quality or warming ocean temperatures.
- The Mesoamerican Reef (MAR), which stretches along the coasts of Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, and Honduras, is the second-largest barrier reef system in the world and contains some of the last healthy populations of critically endangered Caribbean staghorn and elkhorn corals. The southern region of the MAR, off the coast of Honduras, is particularly important because it is a critical source of coral larvae to the MAR’s northern region due to prevailing ocean currents. As a result, Honduras is on the precipice of an ecological tipping point.
Where is it done?
- North America
- South America
- Australia & New Zealand
- Southeast Asia
How does it work?
The donated money goes in many different directions promoting the conservation of coral reefs in Hawaii, Honduras, and Mexico. The money can go to:
- Building worldwide networks of researchers that allow monitoring of global bleaching
- Launching alliances of organizations and scientists committed to reducing the impact of sewage and wastewater
- Create partnerships to launch regional water quality testing programs to tackle sewage pollution along the Mesoamerican reef
- Ensuring a highly coveted lagoon and popular fishing breeding is properly patrolled against illegal fishing
What environmental organization do we support?
- Coral Reef Alliance
How do they prove their credibility?
- Certificates: Gold Seal from GoldsStar (fiscal responsibility certificate)
- Audits: Financial statements have been audited every year since 2010 to ensure transparency for the donors.
- Reports: Annual and financial reports have been released since 2010 to ensure all-around transparency on the projects CORAL is working on. Their annual reports show how the donor’s money is being spent to create a positive impact.
- Coral Reef Alliance has 30+ years of experience reducing direct threats to coral reefs and marine protection.
Redeem Buff Effect Items at the Marketplace
Join forces with Buff and Dots Eco to become a hero for the environment. Dive into eco-friendly gaming experiences that plant trees, save baby sea turtles, offset carbon emissions, and clean the oceans. Your gaming actions can make a tangible difference!