Saving Turtle Hatchlings
Buff has partnered with Dots Eco and we have created items which allow our users the opportunity to also play a role in helping the environment. Our impacts include: planting trees, saving baby sea-turtles, offsetting carbon emissions, and cleaning the ocean
Why is it needed?
- Turtles are known for being “keystone species,” meaning they have an essential role in the environment and with the species around them. Turtles are regulating the food chain significantly.
- Hatchlings are an important food source for many animals, like birds, fish, and mammals. As a result, they rely on them during the nesting season.
- Keeping the beaches clean is key as the following are the main nocive impacts of plastic waste on beaches:
- Turtles confuse plastic bags and pellets for food
- Nesting turtles and hatchlings get caught in it on nesting beaches
- Microplastic particles attract toxins which can make hatchlings in the nest sick
- Microplastic particles also heat sand, interacting with climate change to raise sand temperatures, which makes more hatchlings female and puts the population out of balance.
- Sea turtles and other creatures get caught in fishing gear made from plastic that breaks off at sea.
Where is it done?
- South America
- Central America
How does it work?
Our partners work at key turtles sites around the world. Funding goes to different projects such as:
- Nesting beaches
- Promote responsible tourism
- End the tortoiseshell trade
- Get plastic out of turtle habitats
- Educate people about these species.
What environmental organization do we support?
- Our World, Our Sea
- Latin American Sea Turtles (LAST)
- Palawan Biodiversity Conservation Advocates
- Turtle Love
- See Turtles
- Paso Pacifico
How do they prove their credibility?
Certifications: 1% of the planet is an organization fighting greenwashing and it certifies for “reputable giving”, SKAL International Sustainable Tourism Award, Guidestar Gold Transparency 2021, Changemaker award 2004-2019.
Reporting: Annual, impact, and project reports are released by the organizations we are working with in order to have an overview of the numbers and projects they have worked on.
Impact: Our partners have helped save more than 6 million hatchlings at 50+ beaches in more than 20 countries. They have generated more than $1 million for turtle conservation and local communities from our trips. They have provided 5 scholarships for local community members, and their tortoiseshell campaign has reached more than 10 million people
Redeem Buff Effect Items at the Marketplace
Join forces with Buff and Dots Eco to become a hero for the environment. Dive into eco-friendly gaming experiences that plant trees, save baby sea turtles, offset carbon emissions, and clean the oceans. Your gaming actions can make a tangible difference!