Sona is the most talented of Demacia’s stringed etwahl players, who communicates only with her graceful chords and vibrant arias. This genteel manner has endeared Sona to the highborn. However, others suspect that she performs spell-binding melodies which emanate magic–which would be an unforgivable taboo for any citizen living in this city-state. Silent to outsiders but somehow understood by close companions. Many people believe that it is not just soothing music or songs played during peacetime. They are convinced there really must be some kind of magical power at work when one hears these harmonies being performed on-demand after the battle.
Must Read: Riven LOL Champion
Who is Sona?
PASSIVE (POWER CHORD)
Sona’s voice rings out over the music. Her next attack will deal with bonus magic damage and an additional effect based on what song Sona last activated. Power Chord resets Sona’s basic attack timer. She may use it again as soon as possible for a devastating combo.
Sona plays the anthem of valor, sending out bolts of sound to two nearby enemies. Allies tagged by her aura will gain bonus damage on their next attack against an enemy she is playing music for.
Sona skillfully plays the Aria of Perseverance. Then the skill sent out defensive melodies. The melodies heal Sona along with her ally champions. Sona’s skill left behind an aura that granted allies tagged by its zone with temporary shields to protect them from harm.
Sona’s Song of Celerity grants nearby allies bonus Movement Speed. Sona gains a temporary aura that bestows her allied champions tagged by the zone with an additional move speed boost.
Sona’s ultimate chord is a devastating attack that stuns enemy champions and forces them to dance, dealing magic damage. The passive reduces the base cooldown of Sona’s basic abilities by 0.5 seconds each rank up. Even if she uses her ult sparingly, an opponent still has little time left after it wears off before they have to be on their guard again from another potential onslaught.
Sona's Skills and abilities
HYMN OF VALOR
- EFFECT RADIUS: 825
- CAST TIME: NONE
- COST: 75 to 95
- MANA COOLDOWN: 4.8 to 8
ARIA OF PERSEVERANCE
- EFFECT RADIUS: 1000
- CAST TIME: NONE
- COST: 105 to 125
- MANA COOLDOWN: 6 to 10
- TARGET RANGE: 900
- CAST TIME: 0.25
- COST: 100
- MANA COOLDOWN: 100 to 140
SONG OF CELERITY
- CAST TIME: NONE
- COST: 90
- MANA COOLDOWN: 7.2 to 12
Playing as Sona
- Remember to tag your allies while Sona’s auras are active, but be wary of enemies that may catch you off guard.
- To maximize your effectiveness in the game, save Crescendo for the point where you need a big play.
- If you are fighting an enemy champion, strike him when he’s about to cast a spell. Timing this right will interrupt the ability and prevent it from being used.
A Support player can choose Sorcery as the primary rune tree and Inspiration or Celerity for secondary. If you are in a lane, it is best to go with Aery from summoner sorcery so that your healing has more impact on allied champions.
Your first ability for level 1 should be Hymn of Valor, and then you should start maxing out Hymn of Valor. After that, you can start leveling up Aria of Perseverance, followed by Song of Celerity.
This pick is typically played in the Support position. The lane phase makes it an unpopular choice for other lanes due to its reduced damage output and lack of mobility, but a viable option when necessary.
- Moonstone Renewer
- Ionian Boots of Lucidity
- Staff of Flowing Water
- Ardent Censer
- Shard of True Ice
The Best mythic item for Sona you will build is Moonstone Renewer followed by an Ionian Boots of Lucidity, then an Eye of the Watcher or Rod of Ages. You will need to complete your champion guide with either Redemption or Shard of True Ice, as well as Flash and Ignite as summoners spell.
Must Read: Pyke Champion
TIPS AND TRICKS
- Sona’s abilities are not to be underestimated when she has taken the time to farm and learn spells. Her mana is too low for consistent rotation in the early game. Letting your opponents see you as an easy target will only spell disaster later on.
- When playing as a support, support needs to support their AD carry in the early game. It means warding and keeping them safe, which will get you by with less gold but built to benefit your team.
- Sona is a versatile champion in team fights, and group pushes. However, if not appropriately equipped, her mana pool can quickly be drained. Use any available sources of mana to extend the duration of your presence on the battlefields.
- With auras like Crescendo and Song of Celerity, Sona is one well-rounded support. When your team groups up for her to heal them or when they are all in danger because the enemy has caught you from behind, make sure it is worth their time – stay with them! Unless there are no allies around, then Sona cannot do much but wait until someone comes back into view.
- In a passive lane, encourage your carry to trade blows with the opponent. For example, using both Hymn of Valor and Aria of Perseverance lets you make easy winning trades while not being over-reliant on heals during early game levels when they’re costly instead.
- The Song of Celerity is a powerful tool for any team. It provides both speeds and slows to the user’s teammates, making it difficult for enemies on the other side to keep up with their targets or escape from Sona’s allies.
- The key of any successful team fight is to chunk the other carry. This strategy can be done by taking advantage of Valor’s Power Chord (preferably in a lane near an enemy) and following it up with Hymn. Then basic attacking them for maximum damage output.
- With Ardent Censer, Sona can shield multiple allies at once and receive a slew of valuable stats plus an attack speed buff for all. With her ability to extend the duration with one ally by 3 seconds after activating Aria of Perseverance, she will make both objectives easier to take and have better coordination in team fights.
Sona is one of the most squishy champions in the game, making proper play difficult and learning lengthy. She’s also simple to pick up for new players because she doesn’t require precise skillshots or long cooldowns.
Sona is a very strong champion in the current meta, and she works well with almost any team. Her power chord was buffed in patch 3.05, so it’s very easy to harass opponents from long range without putting herself at risk since the three second cooldown only applies if you miss a skill shot.
Sona has no resource bar, so the problem with her is that all of her skills have fairly long cooldowns. This means your best bet is to stack as much magic penetration as possible since it will help you last hit minions as well as harass opponents in lane.